A client application for the Android operating system since version 4.0 is available. You can download it here: WalkersGuide-Android-0.5.1.apk.
To install the application, visit this site with your smartphone and click at the link above to download the APK-file. After that, search for the downloaded file and use the package manager to install the application. Note for Firefox users: You can find completed downloads under menu -> Tools -> Downloads. To run the installation, you must allow apps from unknown sources. Please check this option in your device settings under Security. Otherwise the installation process fails with a permission denied error message. Afterwards you can find the newly installed app in the application list, maintained by your launcher.
Version 0.5.1 (11.10.2015):
- Fixes a location accuracy problem
Version 0.5.0 (16.08.2015):
- Lock screen routing: Now you may use the routing functionality with your phone's screen locked. So you could put your phone into a pocket and got your hands free. To use that feature you must activate it in the program settings first. The following commands are provided for headset users:
- click 1x: Speak the routing command and the distance and bearing to the next routing point
- click 2x: Next route point
- click 3x: Previous route point
- Some new POI categories added (for example surveillance cameras and benches). The public transportation category was split into four subcategories.
- Bug fixes for the calculation of public transportation routes
Version 0.4.1 (12.05.2015):
- Fixed address input error
Version 0.4.0 (06.05.2015):
- SSL encryption for the communication with the routing server
- Improved compass accuracy
- Fixed: Sometimes the app could not obtain the current location within buildings
Version 0.3.0 (30.03.2015):
- Optimized route calculation (faster and more accurate)
- Enhanced way classes (added the new class "Unclassified ways")
- Exclude single ways from routing
Version 0.2.1 (11.03.2015):
- The program uses GPS data as an additional bearing source to compensate partly occurring compass inaccuracies.
Version 0.2.0 (01.01.2015):
- Introduced way classes to individualize the calculated route. Classes are: big streets, small streets, paved and unpaved ways and steps.
Version 0.1.1 (2014-09-03):
- Enter address dialog: A list of all potential matches is shown if the entered address parts can't be associated to a single address.
Version 0.1.0 (2014-08-28):
- Initial release
- The application contains routing functionality for walkers and can show nearby points of interest
- Fully compatible with the screen reader Talkback
- Available languages: English and German
The project is licensed under the GNU General Public License and can be found at GitHub.